The source from which Markham draws its name is rich in both resonance
and history. In 1791, the Township of Markham was named after William
Markham, the Archbishop of York. In 1872, Markham was incorporated
and grew to a population of 1,100 by 1891. Increased economic ties with
Toronto led to the demise of the farm villages after the turn of the century.
Beginning in 1945, the face of Markham began to change rapidly. It was no
longer a community whose inhabitants worked locally. Rural Markham
disappeared in the face of tremendous urban growth. Throughout this
phenomenal growth, Markham's roots endured.